This week marked the finishing of modelling for the environment, both the UK shed and the African village. Once everyone had finished modelling, I took the assets and checked the topology to ensure they worked well. I then was responsible for UV mapping many of the objects, as it is a thing many of the team had never done before. I uv mapped most of the environmental assets and all of the characters.
I then began to texture the assets in substance painter. I gave them realistic maps, but used the diffuse to create a more painterly look.
I started with some of the shed assets, to test the style, before moving onto the African environment. We agreed on the style I had achieved and I then went on to texture the rest of the environment.
Modelling environment, previs block 1, mentor feedback
This week led to the beginning of planning for our environments. We had a late night meeting to discuss what each person would be modelling. Rhea was the exemption from environmental modelling as she was our character artist. We then marked off each asset as it was completed.
TThis week was a tough one for me as I was at the end of the pipeline, so there wasn’t very much for me to do (other than offer critique on comp etc).
So, while others were working on compositing this week, I worked on getting our breakdown video sorted. I used previous teams breakdowns as a basis and then worked to create ours.
Tiny Space Panda Breakdown. (Vimeo, 2017).
The Mippets breakdown. (YouTube, 2017).
Team Rocket breakdown (YouTube, 2017).
Lorna set up the premier file and we started to slot and edit the different things in. We created the following guidelines to follow;
Character turntables with concepts
Animation Breakdown- reference, animatic, block, final
Rigging- videos of nurse, simplified character and bike rig
Lighting/comp breakdowns- maximum 4 shots
The first week of the competition has been an introduction to training, the facilities and mentors, along with the dreaded feedback presentation.
I’ll not bore with the details for travelling etc so I’ll briefly summarise the beginning of the week.
Saturday 8th July- Jack, Cassie, Lorna and myself arrive in Bournemouth
Sunday 9th July- the day was spent settling in, getting shopping and living basics (a lot of people didn’t have scales to weigh their suitcase and so only had along the lines of 11kg of stuff for 7 weeks (ouch).
Monday 10th July- Induction day. We were given our passwords and sign ins, allowed to download any extra softwares on the computers and prepare our resources. We also met the technical team (imagine three Mikes), the course director and BFX organisers.
We also received our SISO training, showing us how to book out the various equipment needed and how to fill out the risk assessments etc.
Tuesday 11th July- Rhea arrives, lots of practising throughout the day for our presentation (we are pretty petrified given the reputation of Bournemouth Students).
Wednesday 12th July- presentation day
Both our teams were petrified, as this was the first presentation of this style in front of anyone of higher calibre.
I was utterly shocked by how well our presentations went. It turns out that Bournemouth Uni and the Falmouth University don’t do very much presenting or group work, so we were super prepared.
They commented on our presentation skills, and understanding of typography and alignment in our presentation skills (thank you Conann). They also made comment on how we had went through and completed a lot of the feedback, clarifying how much work we had done.
Originally I was worried about our animatic, this was a comment also brought up by one of the mentors, stating that there was a look of frames in our storyboard. However it was mentioned that we had a good use of a variety of camera angles, interesting ones that could change the story quite drastically without having to show cliche animation/cue. Another mentor commented that there were a few shots that the camera didn’t work as hard- and to cut to 10-13 shots, something we have now rectified.
They also mentioned our characters- one mentor bringing up that he was worried it would be hard to get a lot of emotion across with such small eyes, however, Rhea had added little pose sketches of the characters, and he said we completely counter acted what he would have presumed.
Above is us presenting and here is a link to the presentation.
Thursday 13th July- After the adventure of last night, we had to be up at 9am for our camera training at Elliot Road Studios,
We were given a vigorous training in camera studies- going over the basic functions, aperature, ISO and shutter speed, and then allowed to test out the cameras, and their various lens.
After this we were given training on the Vari-cams. Shown how to set one up, how to record and then how to use the monitors. We were also informed on some of the safety precautions involved with these cameras too. Although none of us are actually doing any live actions/ tracking etc it was incredibly useful- especially with refreshing the different camera settings- this will come in 100% useful at a later stage.
Below are some of the photos from the training, I skillfully dodged a lot of these.