Business cards were the part I was most excited for developing for this project, as I think they are such a fun but small way to show personality and skill in a tiny piece of paper. I looked back on cards I had previously created, using two character renders as my ‘hero’ shots for the back of the card. They were designed to be single sided, however, I liked how they showed my work.
Looking at these, I decided that I wanted to go for a two-sided design, so I began searching online for inspiration. Below are some examples that I looked at and quite liked, I have included a brief reason as to why I like them below.
Focusing on General Layout of Design
This business card I thought was very cute, however the font and writing for me was hard to read and not great. It matched the style of the card though. I like this idea of including a character on the card, giving a hint at the persons style and making us wonder more if this was a developed project or not.
I really liked this card design to, for the personality it gives off, with a gag at the side from the dog. The only problem for me is the sizing- as the bottom numbers are very squished.
This is my favourite card of the lot, the rounded edges are a design I really thought would compliment my work, given the style of stop motion short, and the softness of the media. I also really liked the display of the artwork here, showing the ability and design work of the designer in a clean way on one side, but then playing the details in a clear to read obvious way on the reverse.
I then started thinking about possible layouts for the image on the other side, either the image taking up the full side of the card or leaving a border like the one below.
These card dimensions are thinner than another card, something I didn’t really like. I also wasn’t a fan of the text being the opposite direction on the card. I did a text with one of my renders on business card format to see how it looks.
I wasn’t a fan of the border, it was looking too clinical, so thought that the render to the full edge of the card would work a lot nicer and match the mood of my more fun short. I grabbed a few renders of my short and added the rounded edge look to see how they would look on the rounded edge shape of the card.
I really like these cards, they definitely have a ‘funness’ that goes alongside the mood of my piece, and will definitely be looking into the format. Cost wise, I know that the rounded edging is more expensive as they have to be aligned and cut, however, it would be worth it.
The Contact Side
The next thing is to approach the contact side of my card or the side with all the information on it. I compiled a list of what sort of things I need to include on the card itself. This article gave a good list of things to include;
- Identification/ contact information- including your name and name of the business, phone number, website, email, something to tell people what you do, website url or portfolio link.
- An image to show what area you are in/ what you do
- White space- not just for design, allows people to write comments on the card.
I started by writing our details I need to display;
- Rebecca Blair
- Production, Modelling, Look dev
- website (if created)
I then started looking at different ways in which cards displayed the text to take advantage of the negative space. These were the two I kind of like the most, so I started to arrange my information into the two formats.
Below are the two formatting tests. that I tried. I am drawn more to the second layout at the moment, I think it reads better and overall looks neater.
When talking about business card ideas to my class, Megan Conlon suggested I should play with the clay look that is iconic in my project, and maybe I could write my Name in clay or something similar. I took the images above with the type and made them into a displacement map. The tests are below.
Although I didn’t think this was really working, I decided I really wanted to include the clay backdrop as I felt it spiced up my image a lot. Jesus Fernandez, a lead Groom Artist from MPC, suggested that I try just using typeface on top to see how it looked.
I thought that this was starting to work, however, I felt that the name and role would need to be bolder and stand out. So I decided to place a drop shadow under the name.
I send the above image to Alec for some feedback, the main things he addressed where the shader on the background (it look more like plastic) and the alignment of the text. I first addressed the shader on the background of the card.
I showed the card so far to Henry, and he really liked it. He then showed me the ruler tools in photoshop that would help with aligning the text etc. This definitely came in handy.
This is the final info side of the card- I am really happy with it so far, can’t wait to get these guys printed for real!
In conclusion here are a few of my designs that I am going for.
UPDATED ADVICE- Brian gave me a belated piece of advice which I will apply to a further versions of this card- he suggested the removal of the shadow under the ‘modeller, production, lookdev’ as it was being lost.