The 7 steps
- RESEARCH- know about the character, how they interact for e.g. polar bears- do not hibernate when other bears do. Learn through every source. Understand the real thing and then caricature. Understanding the under structure- sit down and draw a real bear over and over and over again. Once this is achieved, the character can be broken down into basic shapes.
- CHARACTER- how do we adapt to the world we are creating. Establish the world so we know what we are designing to. Design conceit- what we are design to. E.g. Aladdin (1992) had long fluid line work based on another caricature artist.
- STORY- character is driving the plot- in this case a Polar Bear who wants to find a friend. Says something special and needs to be pushed across in his look. Giant lonely place- making snow angels.
- NOT SETTLE TOO SOON- experiment! Draw over- continually playing with expression.
- PLAYING WITH EXPRESSION- look at different emotions
- DRAW KEY MOMENTS- once settling on design- draw key shots and explore different moments in the story. Polar Bear building the snowman- give personality in movement.
- EXPERIMENT WITH ANIMATION- how does it move. Character should now be coming real.